June 12, 2009

Social Sciences

I am blogging in Taylor's library...It has been such a long time that I do not blog in English.

I just come across a book called "Social Sciences - An Introduction to the Study of Society,"
and I really think that I should at least share something from the book. As far as I know, not many people know about what's social sciences. And this topic - social sciences - might have intrigued many of the high school students from Klang Valley, when they had a one day trip to Taylor's ADP. The Q & A section really made me felt that our high school education really underexposed them to the side opposite of hardcore sciences.

Social Science can be divided to:
1. Sociology
2. Psychology
3. Anthropology
4. History
5. Geography
6. Political Philosophy
a) Political science
b) Economics

Sociology
Assuming that behavior is influenced by people's social, political, occupational, and intellectual groupings; this simply means that our behaviors are nurtured, not being controlled by ourselves, but rather by our surroundings.
Sociologists mainly deal with issues like " Why people change?" "How they change?" "How they socialize and organize?" or simply put: how we become human beings?

Psychology
A very wrong assumption about psychology by the public is that psychology = study of insane people. It is only the depiction by the movies and dramas, which is VERY VERY VERY UNTRUE ( or I should say this is only a part of it, but not the whole!)
Psychology can go as simply as into "Why we develop fears towards cockroach or height ?" Psychology can also tells how the buttons in the cockpit should be placed so that when emergency cases happen, the pilots would go for the appropriate buttons at the first thought.
Psychology is in general; it can be further branch out to be social psychology, sports psychology, clinical psychology, industrial psychology, etc...

Anthropology
It is the study of relationhsip between biological traits and socially acquired characateristics. It can be further divided into : physical anthropology(about evolution) and cultural anthropology (about societies).

History & Geography
Basically they are nothing much different from what we all know about them...

Political Philosophy
a) Economics
It is the study of ways people make their livings. And it is mainly about production, distribution and consumption. Other topics included are supply and demand, monetary and fiscal policy (which I don't really understand), costs, inflation, and unemployment.

b) Political Science
It is the study of social arragement to maintain peace and order within a society. It deals with goverment, and its interest are : politics, lawas, administration, theory of the nature and the functions of the state, and international relations.
It has both philosophical and practical bases. It examines the theory of systems of government, but it also studies actual practices by which government: taxes, prohibits, regulates, protects, and provide services.

And I do hope that a little of these can help expose more people to more that hardcore sciences. And maybe I am really into social sciences now that I hope it would not be neglected in Malaysia. Our society is getting messier now. Don't you think that the bereth of knowledge about society will get the current society messier?

"Do human beings behave worse or better without regulations?"
(A question I recently ponder on)

11 comments:

  1. hey, chyehong..
    what u r learning are really interesting.
    Anyway,
    i've chged my blog's URL
    so plz relink ya..
    http://100percent-freedomchaser.blogspot.com/
    sorry for any inconvenience.

    by,
    EeHui

    ReplyDelete
  2. yaya... to me it is indeed interesting just that i have not touched on history, geography, political philosophy... might consider to try if i have the chance!

    anyway, it's not troublesome at all.. justa few click so don't feel bad ya ^@^

    ReplyDelete
  3. erm....
    nw u let me know dat hw big n huge about the social science?!coz b4 dat i think it is other than psychology d,so nw i understand dat wat about sosial science n wat it study 4 deeply.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. ann xiang:
    good good! that's my intention of posting this... hopefully we all will have the chance to go deeper into these disciplines... goodluck and jia you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll study political science in Taiwan haha~

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohh! it's cool! anyway it will be in chinese right? so when are you going to taiwan? must inform us so that we can go send you ya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erm, the teaching material is in English but i think muz main in Chinese lah cos it's Taiwan~
    I oso got a friend will study sociology in Taiwan haha~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Chye Hong! Hope that this post will be enlightening and beneficial for students who come across your blog. :)

    Interesting question hahaha. There's a book "Lord of the Flies" which is about a group of boys who crash on an island.. since there's no one to control them and there are no rules there, they eventually deteriorate into savages and end up killing each other.

    I think some level of rules and regulations are essential for civilization. Whether people behave better or worse is a problem with the nature of the regulations: who gets to set the rules? Can one size fit all?

    I like to think that everyone needs to be disciplined differently. Like in my family.. I didn't get any caning at home, but my brothers did. And I think I turned out a bit more obedient than they did hahaha. Sometimes when you control someone too much, they become rebellious; and yet if you don't control them enough, they can get out of hand. So you have to inflict the right amount of discipline, and that's pretty difficult.

    The conclusion is: it's a complicated matter.. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alicia:
    Wao!!! This is indeed a long reply! thanks !

    And indeed, this is a complicated matter! I don't any of us will the the "100% sure" answer for the question unless we do go through the no-rules-and-regulation-world, which is impossible in real life... we are packed with so many rules and regulations, either written or culturally adopted.

    Another thing: to influct the right amount - The Point of Equilibrium. It is really a hard one to maintain. Lies beetween black and white is grey, but how grey is grey? How to mix black and white to achieve the Best grey? equilibrium is really hard to achieve...

    Anyhow, I hope that this post would serve its function to let more people know what is social science!

    And hope for the best for all of you who will be going this year! 惜缘!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guo Hao:
    haha... so far my favourtie subject is sociology.anyway... how long has ur friend been in taiwan for sociology? and when are you going?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha he is going to Taiwan like me~Abt September

    ReplyDelete