Suddenly, I found that I couldn't classify myself as a perfectionist anymore. I no longer demand for perfection. Is it because that now I know how to appreciate the beauty of imperfection? Or is it because that now I do not have high expectation on myself and others around me?
It's tiring to become a perfectionist. Nothing in the world is perfect. Yet if you are still demanding for perfection, you are never going to be contented, far away from being happy. You work extremely hard, and yet not achieving your expectation. No matter how far you have gone, you still believe that you can go a bit further, as long as you work harder. Isn't that tiring?
But if you are not a perfectionist and not have a high expectation on yourself, how are you going to improve? You demand less and become contented easier. You would care less even if the the work you have done is of low quality. Would you seek to improve yourself when you are not a perfectionist and demand less of yourself?
I remember when I was still a high school student, I was a extreme perfectionist. Everything must be perfect. A pencil scratch on my notes was a reason enough for me to tear the whole page off and start writing again. That was too tiring. And that exterted a lot of pressure on my friends.
But now look at me, I no longer have very high expectation on myself, on my work. As long as I can get done with them, not of super high quality, I am okay. But I am stagnant. The lower my expectation, the lower the quality of work I do, the lower the chance that I seek to improve myself. Is this a good thing afterall?
Appreciate the beauty of imperfection. Maybe you will be able to see a little more without being a perfectionist.
No comments:
Post a Comment